Family Sponsorship

Family Sponsorship: Spouse or Common Law, Child and Parents Sponsorship

In Canada, we know how important it is for families to be together. Therefore, canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor their partners, child or parents to come to Canada and live permanently.

Sponsor Your Spouse

You may be eligible to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and meet the following conditions:

  • Are at least 18 years old
  • Live in Canada, or planning to return to Canada once your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident of Canada
  • Are able and willing to provide for the basic financial needs of your spouse or partner for three years

There are specific documents needed to prove your relationship, they depend on your marital status, Married, Commow-law or Conjugal Relationship

Can my partner come to Canada while waiting for approval?

Your spouse can come to Canada while you are waiting for approval but there is no special visa for applicants awaiting a decision on their sponsorship application. Some spousal sponsorship applicants may encounter difficulties applying for a temporary visa if they have an application for permanent residence already in process.

How Much Money do You Need to Sponsor Your Spouse to Canada?

Unlike most other forms of Canadian sponsorship, you do not need to demonstrate a minimum amount of income to sponsor a spouse. However, whenever you sponsor a family member to Canada, you must sign an undertaking, in which you promise to provide financial support for the basic needs of your sponsored family member.

Child or Other Dependant Sponsorship

The family sponsorship program helps reunite families by allowing Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are the parents of a child abroad to apply to sponsor their child, or other dependent, for Canadian permanent residence.

To be eligible for sponsorship, children must meet the definition of a dependent child. Whether they are the biological or adopted child of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, a child is considered to be a dependent if they are not married or in a common-law relationship and are under the age of 22. A child over the age of 22 will be considered a dependent if they suffer from a physical or mental condition that prevents them from being able to support themselves.

As with all family sponsorship streams, both the sponsor and the sponsored person must meet eligibility requirements in order for the child to be granted permanent residence. Parents wishing to sponsor their child must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Provide proof of the relationship with the child, be it through birth or adoption certificate
  • Not be in prison, charged with a serious offense, or bankrupt
How much money do you need to sponsor your child or dependant to Canada?

Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are sponsoring the dependent children are not required to meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI), provided that the dependent child does not have any children of their own. If the dependent child being sponsored has dependent children of their own, the sponsor must meet the MNI required for their family unit size.

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

The Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) is a unique Immigration program allowing both Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their own parents and grandparents for Canadian permanent residence.

In order to sponsor your parents or grandparents under the PGP, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Have received an Invitation to apply
  • Have sufficient income to meet the needs of your parents and grandparents to be sponsored
  • Meet all other requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
How much money do I need?

All sponsors must make enough money to support their parents and grandparents in Canada. If invited to apply, the sponsor must show that they have met the income requirement for the last 3 tax years. If your spouse or common-law partner is acting as a co-signer on the application, you can use their income from the last 3 tax years towards meeting the minimum income cut off.

Your spouse or common-law partner can act as a co-signer on your PGP application. If your spouse or common-law partner acts as a co-signer on your application, you can use their income to meet the minimum income cut-off. Your spouse or common-law partner must also sign an undertaking to provide financial support for your parent or grandparents.

Your financial viabilty is assessed with your last 3 years income reports, to make sure you reach the minimum income cut-off. IRCC have not commented on whether they will request updated proof of income before an application will be finalized.

What documents do I need?
  • Completed application forms;
  • Proof of status in Canada;
  • Proof of physical presence in Canada;
  • Civil status documents;
  • Proof you meet the minimum income cut-off for the 3 tax years prior to submitting the application;
  • Police Certificate and Clearances from all countries your parent or grandparent has lived in for six months or longer past the age of 18;
  • Medical certificate for your parent and grandparent;
  • Proof of payment for applicable government fees;
  • Digital photo.
How long will my PGP application take to be processed?

Current estimated processing times as per IRCC for PGP applications range between 20 to 24 months.