Work Permit Extension

Work Permit Extension

Each year Canada welcomes to its shores many people who are granted the opportunity to work as temporary workers where they will fill much needed job vacancies. These positions vary greatly across skill levels and cover a wide range of professions. It is noteworthy that the population is aging and these vacancies will become more acute in the coming years.

The Canadian government is looking to retain talent that is already working here in Canada; whereas, in other areas of the world, people work for many years only to find that they must ultimately leave what is in effect their home.

Coming to Canada on a Work Permit can be the first step to staying permanently by qualifying under the Canadian Experience Class Program, which is a path to Permanent Residency.


To work in Canada, there is a 2-step process in most cases.

The first step generally is for an employer to get a positive LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). This is basically a ruling from the government that gives your employer permission to hire a foreign worker. In some cases, an LMIA will not be required and certain exemptions can be made, but this is generally not the rule.

After a positive LMIA is obtained and the employer has been approved, the worker will need to apply for a Work Permit which will then give them the right to come to Canada to work legally. This will then be the final stage in the process and this stage is quite straightforward, but for some nationalities or job categories, it can be processed quicker than others.


The Work Permit allows you to work in Canada and gain valuable Canadian experience that will build your skills and open up pathways to Permanent Residence should you wish to settle in Canada permanently. Ultimately, this may be the first step to being able to qualify for Permanent Residence under the very popular Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program.

Types of work permits

There are 2 types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.

  • Employer-specific work permits

    An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:
    The name of the employer you can work for
    How long you can work
    The location where you can work (if applicable)

  • Open work permits

    An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:
    who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions
    who regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages

    You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.